Recognize I'm A Fool And You Love Me

Thursday, June 23, 2005

nyc driving and my mama

one day i'm going to write a book...actually, a series of books...about my travels. the book, or maybe the chapter, if it's a book of essays, on driving in NYC is going to be titled: Always Merge At A 45 Degree Angle. seriously, anything less than 45 degrees and no one takes you seriously. 30 degrees, forget it. think of it like the jungle...or dealing with my Uncle Darryl...the only sure way to survive is through a show of force. you have want that lane. own it. be it. take that lane. i always keep in mind that just about everybody's car is nicer than mine, so they have way more to lose than my 2002 silver neon. come to think of it, i should merge more often, just for the fuck of it, and maybe get a new car out of it. the concept of nice, respectful driving needs to be left somewhere in New Haven. once you hit 95, game over.

i left MA around 11:30am. i got to my brother's in Queens at 3:45pm. that's crazy talk. what made the timing so lame is that for a good portion of time i was burning down the highway doing 85. there's no reason it should've taken me so long. i hit so much fucking traffic. i hit traffic right as i taxied onto the highway in MA. i hit traffic merging onto 95. somewhere near Stamford two trusck got into an accident, but since there's no shoulder, they had to stay in the middle lane and we all had to go around them. then i hit your run of the mill slow pockets. i realize i'm going to NYC, so traffic is to be expected, but this was out of control. i averaged 10mi./hr on the Triboro Bridge. it was insane. it sort of reminded me why, even though it sucks big gorilla balls to get up that early, i leave NYC at 4am. i've also decided that unless i'm visiting multiple people or shopping i'm taking the train in from New Haven from now on. this was some ol' bullshit.

on the plus side, as i'm writing this, my mom is in the kitchen cooking dinner and signing along to her Avenue Q soundtrack. so it was worth it. fighting my way through mid-day NYC traffic is certainly worth -increasingly rarer- moments of home.

as my mom walks by, she lightly brushes my head and says:

"who loves you?"
"my mama!"
"you got that right."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home