Recognize I'm A Fool And You Love Me

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

musical cockblocks

i'm so tired of the supreme lack of creativity in music. i realize that this is not a recent development, but i've just reached my limit. i was driving a friend home last night and the new black eyed peas song came on. it's called "Don't Phunk With My Heart." it has the same beat and rhyming style, actually, as Marky Marks' "Good Vibrations." anyway, so, it starts out "ohh, no,no,no, don't mess with my heart. i wonder if i take you home, would you still be in love, baby." now, that part is from Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam song called, go figure, "I Wonder If I Take You Home." i have a great affection for Lisa Lisa...i am an 80's child... so, i love her. now, it drives me nuts everytime the song comes on, because i think it's Lisa Lisa. i'm all ready to sing my heart out to a classic, and, instead, i hear some dude start rapping like he's actively referencing his rhyming dictionary. i can't stand that shit. i realize that certain songs resemble each other or have little snipets of another. that's fine. when you completely steal the hook of one song and put it in, quite frankly, a lesser song it is ...just wrong. not only are you pissing me off by not giving me Lisa, but now i really don't like your song because you've musically cockblocked me from getting my Cult Jam off.

i think the best/worst song that completely epitomizes this cruelty is Ashanti's "Foolish." Ashanti really fucked up because she used a Biggie song. it wouldn't be so bad if it was one of his lesser known songs or something. it's the song that has one of the most distinctive openings. it's a song that when you hear the first 3 seconds of it...whever you are...you get excited and might even yell out a,"oooohhhhh." the Notorious B.I.G. song she used was, "One More Chance." it has one of the best lines i've ever heard in hip-hop:

"Lyrically I’m supposed to represent I’m not only the client, I’m the player president."

that's some tight shit. so, it's one of my favorite songs and this twit highjacks the whole muscial base of the song and just sings over it. that shit's obnoxious.

my least favorite thing that's come out of hip-hop is the social sanctioning of biting rhymes and music. niggas in the day used to get clowned for that shit. as well they should've. why are you talking if someone else is coming out of your mouth?

i think it all started with a certain Daddy.

that's o.k., i'll address that in a later blog. Puffy, you're on notice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home