Recognize I'm A Fool And You Love Me

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

adventures in being home

i love coming home. it really is only when you've left that you can really appreciate it.
i stepped off of the plane to 75 degree weather. oh, man.there was a strong, warm wind and the sun was shining. now, that is a welcome home fo' ya.

my favorite thing about coming home is black people. everywhere. i don't think i've ever been happier to see gold fronts in my life. cornrows...yea, now that's what i'm talking about. the same thing happened the last time i lived overseas in '98. i flew from warsaw to chicago and after 6 months in ukraine the first thing i saw when i got off the plane was this black guy with the craziest afro. i think i almost cried. i love black people. such beautiful creatures...yes, even...well, not Lil' Jon, but you know what i mean. ye-yah! what? ok!

there are 12 people living in this house and under normal circumstances i would've gotten a hotel room or something. 4 teenagers, Je-sus Cristos! but tonight it is exactly what i need. i think the best moment was when my younger cousin, who is very quiet and shy, came up behind me and just wrapped his arms around me. i was on the phone with my mom and she was freaking out because i was there. he didn't say a word. he just stood there hugging me until i got off the phone and gave him a proper hug. it's things like that...the unspoken things... that matter the most. when you're comfortable enough with people to where words are pointless, that's what i miss.

i was trying to surprise my mom for her birthday and the trip was right on track. i left MA, after a nice breakfast, with plenty of time to make my plane. we landed ahead of schedule. my friend picked me up from the airport with almost no problems. we went out to eat and had a good time. we drove back to my house and didn't hit a lot of traffic, especially, considering it was 5pm. i made it back to my house and was all set to surprise my mom when...she wasn't home. apparently she had a meeting at the mosque and had just left. my stepdad came home and was shocked. he said, "oh! i didn't know you were coming in." i told him that no one did. anyway, so my mom ended up calling to tell him that she was on her way home when he says, "oh, i think there's someone here you'd like to talk to." thanks benjamin. it was cool, though. my mom started screaming on the phone. she threatened to spank me for not telling her i was coming. she always tries to threaten us with spankings. what makes it so funny is that i'm her youngest at 27 and all four of us are bigger than her. ah, my mother...she's so cute.

slowly the house started to trickle in from their previous destinations and it was so good. my uncle came in...wild as ever. i think my uncle may be one of my favorite simple pleasures. seeing everyone and talking and yelling over people and having a good time was ...well, home. i've often told people that in order to fully understand who i am you have to see me within the context of my family. you think i'm loud? talk to my aunt. you think i'm silly? talk to my mom. you think i'm out of my fucking mind? talk to my uncle. it's nice to be in my element again.

my aunt was just telling my 16 yr. old cousin that she had to get off the phone because it was past her bedtime.i looked at her and said, "you have a bed time? ah-ha!" made a pterodactyl noise, flapped my arms, and left of the room. she just laughed and said, "you're so silly" and went back to reading the comics. 4 teenagers and one phone line. i don't know what they're thinking. i was waiting for my aunt to get off of the phone to call my friend i'm going to see tomorrow and no sooner does she get off then her daughter gets on. finally she gets off, i go to pick up the phone and i hear my other cousin on the phone. goddamn! ah, adventures in being home. how i dig it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home